1. Moisture: Mold needs moisture to grow, which is why you see it all the time in showers and baths… and, unfortunately, in basements. You can clean up the mold in a shower or bath, but when you see it in other parts of the home, it’s best to call All Pro Restoration.
2. Food: Mold is alive, and needs to eat. So usually you won’t see mold growing on plastic surfaces in your home. It will grow on wood and other organic surfaces. However, dirt on the carpet or on the floor can be a food source, so keeping your house super clean is smart.
3. Darkness: Mold likes the shadows of your home, and grows quickly in the dark. That’s why basements are often the first place mold is discovered.
Do-it-yourself mold removal?
If you are going to clean up some mold in your house, it’s important to protect yourself. A mold removal specialist knows the dangers of mold, and if you hire a pro, you will see him all suited up and protected against possible contamination.
For cleaning up very small amounts of mold, like you might find in a shower stall, be sure to wear rubber gloves, the type that comes up to your elbows. And wear a good mask, the type the EPA recommends (like an N-95 from your hardware store) so that you don’t inhale mold spores. Spores are actually the dangerous part of the mold, and they are very tiny and float in the air, which means you can breathe them in. Eye protection goggles are also smart, but avoid goggles that have holes in them.